DIY: Cat Scratching Frame
Although your couch may not appreciate your cat’s scratching, it’s a natural part of their behaviour. Rather than fruitlessly trying to stop them from scratching, you should guide them to express this behaviour on alternate objects, like scratch posts or cat trees. Providing your cat with a variety of vertical and horizontal surfaces to choose from can help keep those claws off your couch!
Looking for a scratch post that compliments your décor? Try out this DIY one, using fabric and colours of your choosing.
Step 1: Assemble your materials
- A large picture frame (glass removed)
- A bathmat, doormat or fabric of your choosing*
- Glue gun
Step 2: Trim your fabric to size
- Remove the frame backing from the picture frame and use it as a guide to measure your fabric
- Mark the edges on the back of your fabric, and trim it to size
Step 3: Attach the fabric to your frame backing
- Using a hot glue gun, attach the fabric to the back of the frame
- As your cat will be scratching it, make sure it is securely glued down
- Set aside to dry completely before proceeding to the next step
Step 4: Assemble the frame
- Put the fabric covered frame backing back into the frame
- You may need to trim the edges of the fabric at this point if you have any excess
Step 5: Hang your frame & let your cat enjoy!
- Make sure the frame is VERY securely attached to the wall, ideally on all four sides. You do not want it to come crashing down on your cat when they try to use it
- Once securely attached, let your cat enjoy!
- If they aren’t using it at first, you can try using a wand toy or catnip to get them started
We’d love to see how you’ve incorporated your pet’s needs into your home décor. Share your pics with us on Instagram @PetsPlusUs