The Top 5 Camping Activities To Do With Your Dog This Summer
Summer is the time to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors. If you’re planning a camping trip with your dog this summer, here are some suggestions to help you keep your pup entertained – and have fun doing it.
- Most campsites have access to great trails. If you have a high-energy dog, consider a half-day hike. Better yet, for very high-energy dogs, make it a run! Just be sure to check your pup for ticks, cuts and scrapes once you return to the campsite.
- If you have a smaller dog that isn’t so keen on hiking, consider a dog carrier backpack. You can enjoy the hike, and your pooch can enjoy the view.
- If your dog is obedient and calm, canoeing can be a great activity for you to enjoy together. However, this isn’t the activity for pups that can’t resist the water or who won’t sit still – the last thing you want is a capsizing canoe and a dog overboard!
- Cycling is another campground activity that can be enjoyed by both you and your furry pal. High-energy dogs that can be trusted to run alongside the bike will enjoy the pace and the exercise. For smaller breeds that aren’t interested in running, consider a dog basket that can be fastened to the bike to keep them secure for the ride.
- At the campground, give your dog some freedom to roam. Attach their leash to a spiral dog leash anchor, giving them their freedom, while limiting how far they can go. If you have more than one pup on the campsite, consider erecting a zip line. All dogs can be attached to the line, and it helps to prevent the ropes from getting tangled.
Camping with your dog can be a memorable experience – one that you can look forward to year after year. Be sure to always supervise your pup, and never leave them alone on the campsite. It’s also important (and just good manners!) to pick up after your dog at all times. Good etiquette will help to ensure that your favorite campgrounds remain dog-friendly for years to come!
Have some ideas or tips for fellow pet-loving campers? Share your pictures with us on Instagram @PetsPlusUs.