Keeping your dog mentally stimulated is just as important as keeping them physically fit. Dogs are intelligent animals, and a bored dog can be a destructive dog. The good news is there are countless games you can play with your pooch to keep them mentally sharp and we’ve made this simple DIY for under $10.00!
What you will need:
- Wireless Drill with a ¾” Forstner Bit (use a drill bit that is as thick as the dowel you choose)
- Table Saw (optional) – Home Depot can cut wood pieces to sizes needed
- Wood Pieces: 1 x 18” thick base piece, 2 x 18” side pieces, 1 x 17” wood dowel
- 4 wood screws
- wood glue
- painters tape
- measuring tape
- sand paper
- paint & paint brush (optional)
- 3 empty pop or water bottles
- Make sure you have all of the required materials & tools.
- Cut wood pieces to size and give them a light sanding to remove any chips or sharp edges.
- Line up your base, sides and depending on the size of your bottles, measure out where you will place the wooden dowel.
- On one of the side pieces, drill your dowel hole completely through the piece of wood. On the other side piece, only drill halfway through. This will stop and keep the dowel in place. (We drilled a couple different holes to accommodate different size bottles for different sized dogs.)
- Center your side pieces on the base. Screw each of your sides on the base using two wood screws in each.
- Drill or cut holes in your bottles, and place them on the dowel.
- Secure dowel in place.
- Paint edges of wood to add some colour (optional).
- Place a few treats in each of the bottles.
- Let your dog have fun! (Remember, have patience, be positive, and go slow…)
Your dog will know there’s something tasty hidden within the bottles of this new toy, but they’ll have to use their noggin to get it out!
Need some ideas for indoor activities that are both fun and mentally stimulating? Check out our indoor activities to keep cats and dogs stimulated in the winter here: https://www.petsplusus.com/pet-information/seasonal/indoor-activities-keep-cats-and-dogs-stimulated-winter