Keeping your pet healthy and happy is one of the tenets of responsible pet ownership.
Pet insurance is coverage designed to provide pet owners with financial support towards professional veterinary care and some related medical costs in the event of unexpected medical costs, usually due to accident or illness. Some insurers also offer plans to support preventive care. In North America, the product is sometimes referred to as pet health insurance.
Regardless of your income or financial situation, if you’re like most pet owners, you don’t have the funds set aside to provide veterinary medical care for your pet in the event of illness or an emergency. Even if you do, those funds are often earmarked for other expenses, such as a child’s college fund, home improvements, vacations, vehicle purchases and repairs and all the myriad other costs of living that we face daily.
Today, like with human healthcare, the veterinary medical profession continues to advance and can treat virtually any condition or injury that a pet may incur throughout their lifetime – provided they receive the required treatment early or quickly enough, and as long as the pet owner has the financial means to cover the real cost of care.
Pet health insurance is a useful financial tool that:
- Helps protect your finances against unexpected medical costs
- Can make it easier for veterinarians to provide your pet with optimal care
- May help pet owners from having to make a financial decision to end a pet’s life due to their inability to pay for the needed treatments - sometimes referred to as ‘economic euthanasia’ by the veterinary profession.
- Gives you an opportunity to seek medical treatment for your pet as soon as possible
- Provides a plan for the costs of routine and even preventive care, if you have Wellness Care coverage
- Assists you in helping your pets to live a healthier and sometimes longer life.
What else does pet health insurance cover?
Sometimes pet insurance may provide extra benefits that are not financial in nature. Pets Plus Us is unique because we offer Blue Ribbon Benefits, which gives pet owners access to a whole suite of products and services that provide extra value and that are designed specifically to help and support pet owner happiness.