Put all that toilet paper to good use and try out a homemade puzzle feeder for the feline in your family. This DIY is so simple and it’s a great way to keep little hands busy if you have kids at home. Plus, it’s easily customizable to fill with whatever gets your cat purring, whether they fancy treats, catnip, kibble or play.
Puzzle feeders and interactive games are a great way to keep cats active and engaged. With some creativity and a few household items, the opportunities are endless!
STEP 1: GATHER YOUR MATERIALS
- Toilet or paper towel rolls
- Utility or exacto knife or scissors
- Treats and/or cat nip
- Pipe cleaners (optional)
STEP 2: PREPARE THE TOILET PAPER ROLLS
- Variation 1: if your cat loves catnip, poke small holes into the toilet paper roll. Fold one end of the toilet paper roll up.
- Variation 2: If treats are the key to your cat’s heart, cut squares, diamonds or circles into the toilet paper roll, slightly larger than the size of their chosen treat. Fold one end of the toilet paper roll up.
- Variation 3: If your cat is a natural born gamer and loves to play, try the pipe cleaner variation. Poke 3 pairs of holes in your toilet paper roll, directly opposite each other
STEP 3: FILL IT UP WITH CAT FOOD
- Variation 1 & 2: sprinkle some catnip or cat treats into the open end of the roll, and then fold the open end closed. If your cat is watching their weight you can swap treats for a portion of their daily kibble.
- Variation 3: feed the pipe cleaner from one side directly to the hole you poked on the opposite side. Repeat this step with the remaining 2 sets of holes.
STEP 4: ENJOY!
- Invite your cat to join in a play session to explore your creations
- Whether playing with a homemade creation or a toy from the store, it’s important to supervise your pet during desplaytime to make sure they are safe
Are you going to try this DIY or have another idea to share? Use the hashtag #PetsPlusUs so we can admire your creations!