Pets and Fireworks

Beagle dog hiding under couch
Fireworks are something we all look forward to in the summer, but some of our four-legged friends don’t feel the same way. If you’re getting ready to set off fireworks, or just watch them in the park, it’s important to keep in mind both safety and the fact that some pets can be afraid of the sights and sounds. We’ve put together some tips to make sure that everyone has a safe and happy time celebrating.
 
Fear of fireworks
It’s natural for some pets to get scared of loud noises. This fear can develop at any age, and in the case of dogs, in any breed. A fearful dog may freeze, pace, pant, tremble, salivate, try to escape, hide, or bark at the fear-inducing noise. In severe cases, dogs may even injure themselves in their attempts to escape.
 
If you know that your pet is fearful of loud sounds, the first step is to keep them inside, preferably in a place where loud noises from outside are highly diminished and the fireworks can’t be seen through a window or glass door.
 
How to help your pet’s anxiety during fireworks:
  • Keeping a radio or TV turned up loud can whitewash the noise.
  • Staying with your pet can keep them calm and comforted.
  • Cats will often choose a corner or covered place to hide, where they’ll feel most secure. Placing the litter box close by may help prevent unwanted accidents.
  • Dogs can often be distracted by a Kong stuffed with peanut butter or cheese.
For pets who have developed a more severe long-standing phobia towards loud noises, you may have to ask your veterinarian for the short-term use of a sedative to bring more immediate calming to your pet’s anxiety. A more long-term solution would involve behavioral techniques called desensitization and counterconditioning. With patience, this can be achieved with a sound effects playlist and some guidance from your veterinarian. For best results, this should be initiated in the Fall or Winter when there is almost no risk of thunderstorms.
 
Fireworks safety
Like with people, pet fireworks safety is paramount if you have a pet. You will need to watch your pets carefully to avoid fire hazards including being too close to hot substances or straying sparks. Burns will have to be cleaned, treated and antibiotics administered by a licensed veterinarian practitioner.
 
Also, keep in mind that fireworks are toxic and can cause illness if ingested. They contain agents including potassium nitrate, mercury, antimony, copper, barium, strontium and phosphorus. If you suspect your pet has ingested a fireworks substance, you should bring them to a veterinarian immediately.
We hope you and your pet have a safe and happy summer! We would love to see the adventures you get up to this summer with your pet. 
 
Send us your pictures on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
 
Written by:
Dr. Debbie Stoewen & Dr. Chip (contributors)
The information provided and contained herein are the opinions of PTZ Insurance Services Ltd. which are based on external publication. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinary advice. PTZ Insurance Services Ltd. assumes no responsibility or liability for any loss, claims or damages arising out of the within content.