Since we’ve all been at home a lot more lately, we know everyone has been going through a lot more toilet paper. Instead of throwing them away, you can make a recycled toy your cat will love! You can also customize this DIY to match your cat’s personality and needs. With toilet paper rolls being so accessible, just imagine all the DIY puzzle feeders you can spoil your cat with.
Gather your supplies:
- Toilet or paper towel rolls
- Utility or Exacto knife or scissors
- Treats and/or catnip
- Pipe cleaners (optional)
Pick the variation that matches your cat
- Variation 1: If your cat loves catnip, poke small holes into the toilet paper roll. Fold one end of the toilet paper roll up.
- Variation 2: If treats are the key to your cat’s heart, cut squares, diamonds or circles into the toilet paper roll, slightly larger than the size of their chosen treat. Fold one end of the toilet paper roll up.
- Variation 3: If your cat is a natural-born gamer and loves to play, try the pipe cleaner variation. Poke 3 pairs of holes in your toilet paper roll, directly opposite each other.
Add catnip, treats or kibble
- Variation 1 & 2: sprinkle some catnip or cat treats into the open end of the roll, and then fold the open end closed. If your cat is watching their weight, you can swap treats for a portion of their daily kibble.
- Variation 3: feed the pipe cleaner from one side directly to the hole you poked on the opposite side. Repeat this step with the remaining 2 sets of holes
Invite your cat to join in a play session to explore your creations
Whether playing with a homemade creation or a toy from the store, it’s important to supervise your pet during playtime to make sure they are safe.
Use the hashtag #PetsPlusUs to share your creation with us and let us know if your cat liked this DIY.